Spontaneous Rapture: 2008 in a Glance

Writing a year end review of your life is an arduous and painful task. I discovered it now. It takes courage to look back and examine the things that happened in your life especially the painful memories, which you try to place at the far end corner of your head.

Writing this could have been a lot easier if I had achievements under my belt or if all memories are good ones. Although, 2008 is supposed to be my year since I was born under the year of the rat, I didn’t get to have that “luck.” Don’t get me wrong even though I wasn’t lucky, I was blessed. So here are the highlights of my life in 2008:

Unique experiences. Last June 30-July 2, I was able to participate in the GK build along with Jerz, Gedrick and some Taiwanese students. This is something that I really want to do and still want to do next year. During this experience, I get to experience what it feels like to build a house. Even though carrying heavy cement and hollow blocks was tiresome, I felt light and good, knowing that I did something for other people. I’m also glad to meet new people (Macany, Vic, Irene, Kathy, Sabrina) whose life stories made me richer and honestly made me want to go to Taiwan.

Last October 28-30, the team underwent the Upward Bound experience. This is where I realized that now is the time to start living my dreams no matter what other people think/say. It also empowered me that I am strong and that I can do anything. The experience also helps me regain my faith in God. Honestly, I’ve been harboring some bad feelings towards God because I feel that He is so distant and silent. I didn’t realize that He is/was there the whole time I’m undergoing trials. I am really grateful for this experience for it shakes me up and push me to move forward and fly high.

FF (Futsal friends). I’ve never been a fan of football or futsal for that matter but boy I was sure glad that I got hooked to this sport. This paved way for me to meet great friends (Blue, Dex, Tristan, JC, Jay,manok, Harry and company). I had a fair share of memories both from the futsal court and out. Aside from meeting people, it also gave an outlet to destress.

From Temp to PH. One of the things that I’m grateful for is my regularization at work. Now, I can enjoy some benefits that I don’t get before and I can join company events without my boss adding my name to the list. I’ve also transferred from research to VE, which is something I wanted to try before.

Chuvas. This year I met my parallel line, my intersecting line and my asymptote. Though I didn’t meet “the one” and still a NBSB, all that I’ve experiences related to heart matters, made me rethink and refeel. It also made me (hopefully) smarter and stronger because of the pain that it caused me. I just hope that these experiences will not make me bitter and afraid of love. I also hope to love unconditionally without expectations.

Certain Firsts. This year I joined P.I.A. (Pinay in Action) fun run with Macky, Mayee, Bix, and Jerz. Though Mayee and I got lost, we saw Lino Cayetano and we asked him for a souvenir picture. Before the PIA fun run, my friends at the office joined a race in UP. I wasn’t able to join because my teeth (fresh from surgery) is still aching. I had my two wisdom tooth removed because it was impacted. Perhaps, next year, I’ll ask the dentist to remove the remaining 2 impacted wisdom tooth. Ouch. It’s the worse physical pain I’d ever experienced in my life. I can’t eat. I can’t talk. I looked like I had mumps.

Another certain first moment is during our despedida with Ordy. It was held in a comedy bar (bar uno). This was my first time to enter such venue. Good thing, the hosts didn’t okray me. Myla told me that the foreigners who sang during that night were the actually the contestants in Amazing race asia 2.

Gifts. Finally my wish to have my own laptop came true—thanks to Tatay. I named it Edward Henry (from Twilight and Time traveller’s wife characters). I also received books from Ord (pasalubong from US) and some chocolates and DQ from friends at the office.

I entitled this blog entry as Spontaneous rapture since most of my experiences (good and bad) in 2008 are brought about by my spontaneity. Although there were consequences for my actions, I was really happy I did everything. No regrets.

Sabi nga ni Paulo Coelho:

There's a moment in your life that you feel sorry for what you've done but then that precious moment would have remained just a miracle if you didn't do what you've done.”

“Be Brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience”

0 speak up: