Running with Lola


After giving up on convincing my sister to watch Tanging Ina Niyong Lahat, I decided to watch the German film, Run Lola Run. The movie explores the concept of people's actions/decisions leading to different consequences and realities. Basically, it's about the story of Lola who tried to save her boyfriend Manni from impending doom by getting 100,000 marks within 20 minutes. At the onset of the film, Lola was late for her 'appointment' with Manni because her scooter was stolen. Due to that, Manni took the subway along with the money (he needs to deliver to some crime lord), which he accidentally left and pick up by a bum. And this is where all the 'running' begins...

The movie consists of three runs and always re-begins on the part of Manni-Lola's telephone conversation at 11:40 am.Three runs that results to various endings. I like this movie since it makes you think and it engages you in a 'dialogue' of sorts. The style of narration and use of still frames to tell what will happen to the people that Lola passes by are really innovative. Asteeg!

I was thinking, what if on the third run, the bum shot Manni when Manni gave his gun in exchange for his bag of money or what if Manni got killed by the crime lord since he lost his money. Something tragic. It reminds me of Orpheus and Eurydice or Romeo and Juliet... what if these tragedies had many runs perhaps it wouldn't end so tragically?

In life (eto yun eh), there are moments when I wished I could be lola and just shout, "STOP" and everything will re-start again. Don't get me wrong. I've learned to appreciate my past as something that molds me to become the 'me' now. It's just that there are rare happy moments that I want to relive and replay again and again...

0 speak up: